While simple accounting software can be a good thing, when your businesses grows, your software should grow with it. Here are some signs that you have outgrown QuickBooks and need a more robust system such as Microsoft Dynamics.
You May Have Outgrown QuickBooks If:
- Your System Is Slow or Unstable – Your reports run too slowly, your system locks up or you are receiving “not responding” messages more frequently. Your accounting may be in need a software built on a stable and robust SQL database.
- Paper Has Become Too Costly – Your software doesn’t support electronic documentation, so everything has to be done by paper. An automated AP system can eliminate the need for paper in your accounting systems.
- Production Is Behind Schedule – When it comes to order management, there is a disconnect among multiple departments. Full EDI automation allows orders to be seamlessly integrated into a production schedule.
- Cost Calculators Are Inaccurate – Your accounting system was developed for discrete manufacturing, which doesn’t account for variations that can change yields. Automated standard costing may be a better option.
- Employees Are Manually Building Reports – There’s no way to manipulate statements and data for seamless integration. You may need automatic workflows that that allow team members to run reports quickly and easily.
- You Are Selling Items That Are Out of Stock – You are trying to maintain data in multiple systems and it’s time-consuming and inaccurate. You require a database that updates in real time and keeps all of your information in one place.
- Time and Equipment Tracking Is Inaccurate – You started small with a few employees, but are now having trouble scaling up and staying accurate. Cloud-based time and materials tracking systems allow for easy and accurate reporting.
- Month-End Closeouts Take Too Long – You’re struggling with multiple locations and inconsistent records keeping. You require automated workflows and centralized document management so month-end close-outs can take hours instead of weeks.
- Warranty and Service Procedures Are Confusing – Outdated paper systems no longer are enough as you struggle with inaccuracies and time delays. A fully integrated system with tablets that team members can use out in the field may be a better solution.
- Overhead Is Excessively Costly – You have a clunky legacy system that is incurring unnecessary costs. You may need a program that can be quickly implemented and is more affordable to maintain.
- Inventory Is Inaccurate – Frequent stock outs could be leading to high freight-in costs and overstocking for you. You may need an RFID system in which items and lots are scanned upon delivery for easy location, specific tracking.
- You Are Having Cash Flow Issues – Your software isn’t designed for your specialized workflow, causing cash flow slowdowns, excessive write-offs and project management tracking difficulties. You may need a cloud solution that makes tracking easier and more accurate.
- POS System Is Disconnected – You may be spending several hours a day reconciling POS systems. Automation can help you eliminate that time waste and increase the accuracy of your reporting.
- Your Inventory Process Isn’t Supported – You may be using FIFO inventory practices that your accounting software cannot track. By switching to automated FIFO inventory control, you can end your reliance on spreadsheets.
- You Are Not GAAP Compliant – You’re a non-profit and undocumented changes can be made to your current accounting system, a hurdle when it comes to auditing. You may need ERP software that has controls implemented for non-profit organizations.
Source: Microsoft, “Is Your Accounting Software Hurting Your Business”