The Value of User Acceptance Testing for a Successful ERP Implementation
“Training on your new ERP system is done. Now go ahead and practice on your own and let us know if you have questions.”
This is what most ERP Partners tell their clients. But at Express Information Systems we have a proven testing and training methodology that is successful, and actually saves you money on support costs!
After company training on each Microsoft Dynamics 365, Microsoft Dynamics GP, or Sage Intacct system we assign User Acceptance Testing (UAT). This is not merely a suggestion to practice on their own. These are customized scenarios that the user is assigned and tested on so they feel confident they can do their job well in the new ERP system. We even have a trick to know if the UAT was completed.
But first, let’s talk about ERP system training.
Based on our 30+ years of experience with ERP projects, here are a few tips:
- Don’t Skip – Some companies opt to skip the training period and jump right into using the system. However, every part of the methodology is there for a reason. If you try to skip any part of it, you won’t see the system’s full value, and you will end up paying more down the road in support costs.
- Get Hyped Up! – Part of Training is to get people excited about switching systems by showing them how their job is going to be better by cutting out steps and providing automation. Don’t just focus on the steps, look at the big picture and the overall value the new system will bring to the company.
- Use Real Data – Don’t do training on sample data. Use real data, in a test company, with your master records, your vendors, your chart of accounts, so you know what it is going to look like when you are ready to switch over.
- Be Flexible – If a user struggles with group training, it may be that they don’t want to ask questions in front of others and need a one on one approach. Or they need a trainer with a different teaching style. If you choose a Partner with a large enough team, they have the flexibility to give you options.
- Look to the Experts – We do not recommend the ‘train the trainer’ approach. Why wouldn’t you want your users to have access to the people who are the experts? I’ve often found that when customers opt to do ‘train the trainer’ ultimately they come back around to doing training with our team anyway. Give every user the benefit of working with the person that is the expert.
- Allow Time for Training – Companies that are successful, set aside time each day without distractions, to focus on training. This gives users the confidence that they can handle the tasks when the new system goes live.
- Stick to the Timeline – Final training should be less than one week before go-live. When projects drag out too long, users can lose sight of the end goal. It is important to keep the pace moving, so people do not lose the motivation they felt at the beginning. Today, cloud-based systems are much quicker implementations, just sometimes 60 days from start to finish, and this is a big advantage.
User Acceptance Testing
After the initial training, done with the customer’s data, we assign User Acceptance Testing (UAT). We build customized scenarios based on the needs of each user and their role. The user is assigned to complete these scenarios on their own, to really make sure they can run the system without us sitting next to them. For example, enter a credit memo, send an invoice, do a check run. Then we get a physical sign off to confirm the UAT is completed.
We purposely add a trick question into the User Acceptance Testing so we know if they actually went through the entire testing program. Honestly, if a user tells us they can do everything, I’m suspicious that they did anything. After the UAT, we will schedule a follow-up training session to review any questions. If a project is delayed, we may recommend that UAT is completed again, about a week before go-live, so it is still front of mind.
We know from many years of experience that companies that commit to User Acceptance Training spend less money later on support costs.
Want to learn more about successful ERP User Adoption, download our whitepaper… “19 Brilliant Ways to Promote ERP User Adoption”
Why Express Information Systems?
For more than 30 years, Express Information Systems has been working with companies like yours to implement ERP systems that users love. We have a defined, proven process that works. Our team is large enough to match the right person with the right project and swap them out if different skills or personalities are better suited. Combined, our team members have more than 200 years of ERP experience.
Many of our happy Microsoft Dynamics and Sage Intacct customers have been with us for decades, and we encourage you to ask them about their experience.
Contact us online to learn more about training and support from Express Information Systems or call (210) 614-9410 to start the conversation.